Monday, April 6, 2009

April finally had some showers

We got some very welcome rain and the effect is very visible. Grass is green, violets in bloom, redbuds all along the highway are in the deep purply stage.

I mowed the wildflower meadow and there is lots of new growth starting. Last summer this just swarmed and hummed with bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.
From TTH200904


I have daffodils massed in the long bed by the board fence. This bed cycles through daffodils, Siberian irises and daylilies with tall climbing roses at the back. One of the roses, a hybrid musk called Rambling Rector is becoming a monster. I have an Alchymist on order that I'll grow in a pot this year. If it prospers I may look for a new home for Rector.
From TTH200904


Cats contemplating daffodils
From TTH200904



The front bed has mostly spring ephemerals. And cats.
From TTH200904


Dutchman's Breeches
From TTH200904


From TTH200904


Bluebells went from this
From TTH200904


to this
From TTH200904


Shooting Star (Dodecatheon meadia)
I planted a dozen of these last spring. So far I've counted 11 up this year. I love these. The flowers look similar to cyclamen flowers in colors from white through pink to purple.
From TTH200904

5 comments:

  1. Oh what those warm temperatures will do! We won't see life in the garden for a few more weeks:( Tha Dafs were beautiful.
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks interesting, and I like the ethos of planting for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great when it rains! We're always so excited here, and every little bit is welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry to have to ask for the word verification. I started getting spam comments recently.