Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hollies

A few years ago I planted two different American Holly (Ilex opaca) cultivars. They couldn't be more different in form. I have of course lost the tags so can't tell for sure which is which.

One is growing very narrow and upright. It lost about a foot off the top in an ice storm last winter but seems to have developed a new central leader and will probably keep to a nice pyramidal form. I think it may be Dan Fenton.

From TTH200811


One lost its center to some insect damage and seems determined to grow into a shrub with no distinct leader. I don't know what it will look like when it gets big. I think this is Satyr Hill.

From TTH200811

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry to have to ask for the word verification. I started getting spam comments recently.