Friday, June 4, 2010

Edibles

The asparagus bed got off to a rocky start this year. Winter 2009 set in early and hard before I got it weeded, fertilized or mulched. Weather stayed cold and wet in the spring until it started sending up spears. I did finally get it cleaned up and it got down to business producing. I love having lots of asparagus to eat and to share. I even got my neighbors, self-described picky eaters to try it. Bob brings me bags of cucumbers and tomatoes all summer so I was glad to reciprocate.

From TTH20100531



The herb bed became infested with wire grass. I spent a day digging it out along with a large dead rosemary bush. That gave me a clear space for the basil and other annuals in a good sunny spot.

From TTH20100531


Moving the basil gave me a little more room for greens. I always say I'm not going to bother with vegetables and then always decide to plant a few. This year it is the Mystery Vegetable at the back. It's a surprise for a friend who remembers it as a childhood treat. It will be harvested in the fall and then I can tell you what it is.

In front of that is some chard, then parsley. Buttercrunch lettuce is to the right. It has been struggling in a heat wave. I hope some will head up before it bolts.

In the fall I will plant some weird kale called variously Lacinato, Tuscan or Dinosaur kale. It has very dark leathery leaves, not curly edged like most kale. It makes a wonderful tangy salad. The kale is stemmed, sliced very finely, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice and then tossed with mix-ins. This week that is radishes, young local garlic and scallions. I could eat a bucket.

From TTH20100531

3 comments:

  1. Like this blog entry as you talk more on the vegetable garden. Interesting information on asparagus and basil. I grow the same and other greens like yourself. What climate are you in? I'm in the cool/cold climate and this type of climate doesn't stop a healthy and full vegatable garden during the year. I'm based just north of Canberra in Australia. When you have a chance, visit my blog....http://bit.ly/32qrMf

    Thanks, great blog.

    Regards Steve the VegyGardener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love asparagus. :) I'm a bit of a picky eater myself...but, I guess I learned to like it early on when my dad grew it in his garden. Now I'm growing it myself.

    I have to say eating FRESH asparagus makes all of the difference. Your now-a-little-less-picky neighbors got the good stuff. Maybe that is why they've learned to like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative article. For more details about roof you can view here. There are many types of materials used for roofing, JSW Roofing Sheets is one of them. If you want the roof to withstand for a long time then you can also consider placing color roofing sheet.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry to have to ask for the word verification. I started getting spam comments recently.