Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sweet Bay Magnolia

This is Magnolia virginiana, the Sweet Bay Magnolia. I think it's a lovely thing. I do admire the big Southern Magnolia but my neighbors have them and they have maintenance issues. For starters, they get huge and I don't have room for another huge tree. Sweet Bay grows to about dogwood size with a shrubby, multi-stemmed habit. Southern Magnolia leaves are very tough, leathery things that do not break down well. They and the big seed heads have to be raked and won't even compost well. I like the color of the Sweet Bay leaves, light green on top and silver below. The flowers have a light, almost lemony scent and a nice waxy substance.

From TTH20100531



From TTH20100531

2 comments:

  1. Oh their fragrance is so very lovely isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    I would love to contact you via email with a wonderful and fun proposal for your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry to have to ask for the word verification. I started getting spam comments recently.